W.W. Sloan, M.P. Kerr and Joseph Cotulla were trustees, and S.F. Williams, J.M. Gunning and E.A. Williams were the first teachers. Lightning struck the first schoolhouse and it burned to the ground. A former house, with the porch removed and a bell added, was moved to the site and used for the next school building. County teacher institutes and summer normal schools were held here during summer months. The site served Cotulla’s caucasian schoolchildren until a new brick school was built on Tilden street in 1908.